Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Nostalgia Room ~ Bringing The Memories Back Home

So, the sweet gal at Atomic Ranch House inspired me to, 1) make a blog, which obviously I did (whew!  Still can't believe it!),  and, 2) to use a bedroom in my house as a "nostalga" room for re-collecting favorite things from my childhood, which I am in the process of doing.  I am having to re-collect because mom was very excellent at getting rid of things she arbitrarily decided we grew out of!  My sister or I would notice something missing & just KNEW we “grew out" of it.  I think mom was part gypsy because we moved around a LOT so I sometimes think she was continually lightening the load for the next move.  But who knew we would someday long for those things we “grew out of”?   The room is pretty bare bones right now with just a bed & two of my grama's dressers & an old chair I snagged at a garage sale which I will be putting a paint brush to soon.  But I've found a couple of things already that have me thrilled!  One is a pictures of a doll that I dearly loved.  She was a Madam Alexander doll & her name was "Cissy".  I know beyond all hope I'll never find the actual doll again, but I was so lucky to have found two vintage Yardly of London Ad's & one of them has her in it!  My Cissy wore a midnight blue taffeta dress (which I thought looked SO like Debbie Reynolds), the pearl necklace & a big honkin round diamond ring, which I was certain exactly like I would receive from my future Prince Charming who would certainly find me someday :- )  I had them for sale in the store, but when I got the bedroom idea, I knew they'd be coming home with me.

Here’s Cissy in the ad - Isn't she adorable!

This is the other ad & I had to buy them both because they belong together & I LOVE her outfit!
(I am most definately going to have to work on my photography skills!)

And one more thing I'm jumping up & down over is....My very first "cosmetics were called "Little Lady" and I will never forget them and they simply are a MUST for my nostalgia room.  Here is a picture of a few of the items I want sooo bad!  I had all the products plus a dresser set with hand mirror, brush & comb.  Boy would I LOVE to get my mitts on those!

Finding any of these will be a real challenge but, who knows.  However, I was THRILLED to find an adorable Little Lady picture at a GREAT store on Etsy that will definately become part of this new collection for my room.  And I've also had the pleasure of exchanging some e-mails with the owner of that great Etsy store & I'm loving her blog, My Attic's Charm.  Charming place & a charming lady.  Here's the picture.  How cute is she!



So, along with some fun black & white photo's of me & my sister that I'm scanning, I think I'm off to a great start.  And it's going to be so much fun to add the goals for my room to my already great picking adventures!

Do you have a very favorite thing from your childhood?


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these little lady pictures are soo cute! They remind me of Nana - I bet she would like them too. Love the bottom one with the girl and her little dog. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, they will all look perfect in the room! They Really remind me of my Mom, Aunt, And Nana too!

    ReplyDelete